I had an interesting question asked of me by a friend last night. Why am I so adamantly and passionately supporting Cruz and equally adamantly and passionately opposed to Trump and his political sister, Hillary?
A great part of the answer revolves around the country I grew up in. You see I grew up in a country that respected the rights of others. Where the phrase “my rights end at the start of your nose,” actually meant something. A country that respected the right of a person to run his or her own business and if he/she put in place a policy that I didn’t agree with, it as my right not to patronize him and urge others to do the same.
Trending: Why Do The Rich Want Socialism?
The country I grew up in had no tolerance for a supreme court that ignored the constitution and wrote their own laws. The constitution was the SUPREME law of the land, not groups of unelected bureaucrats and Judges that made it up as they went along. My country thought that the Declaration of Independence was almost sacred. When it said – “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their CREATOR …” it meant something. It meant that this was a country founded on the rights of the individual as granted by God, not men.
Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?
I have lost my country. A country whose uniform I proudly wore and to whom I swore the oath to defend the constitution and my country against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. Nobody, including me, has ever said “that’s OK, Rick, you don’t have to hold to that oath anymore. Just forget it.”
Now I find that there is an election that has many people running that honestly believe that Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States are just old pieces of paper that need to be forgotten and ignored. That the reasons this country was founded on individual liberty and a trust in God is no longer pertinent to our lives and certainly not something our government should have any concern for. Mr. Trump has said the following and though I may paraphrase the concepts are identical:
1. I don’t think I have ever asked God for forgiveness. I trust in my own judgment about right and wrong.
2. If a man thinks he is a woman he should be allowed to be in the bathroom our wives and daughter’s use.
3. I don’t need to follow the rules. The rules aren’t always things I agree with.
4. Wrote an entire book about how to con people and then uses those tactics while campaigning to be MY president.
4. Promotes violence within his own organization and among his followers.
5. Promises that if he is not the nominee there will be riots in the streets across our land.
6. Cannot tolerate any form of disagreement.
Is afraid to meet his opponent in a head to head debate even when openly challenged to do so.
7. Believes the rules should be changed to fit his own personal definition of “fair” even though some of those rules have been in place long before he decided to run and all have been in place before this campaign began.
8. Openly admits to never having read the Constitution.
9. When asked about the Convention of States project he reportedly replied “What’s that?”
There is one person in this race that has a lifelong history of standing for the constitution and the people of this land. He has openly opposed those who would and do denigrate the supreme law of this country. He even had that constitution memorized before he graduated form high school. He has stood on the floor of he senate and correctly identified the leader of the senate of lying and took heat for it! He has proposed bill after bill that would curb the power of the very body he was elected to in the face of those who forgot their promises the second they were sworn into office.
He has repeatedly stated that he wants to give me my country back to me.
I ask you – How can I not support him?Tags: Donald Trump Hillary Clinton Ted Cruz
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author and are not not necessarily either shared or endorsed by iPatriot.com.