Taking Our Nation Back — Part 1
Elections are just a few days away and it is an election that may very well determine just how long America stays free. I have seen over the course of my life time a nation that came out of WWII the champions over evil. America saw growth like we have never seen. It seemed that God was blessing America on every level. But America forgot her God. We let too many distractions turn our eye from the One that established America, protected America and prospered America beyond anything the world had ever seen. We have allowed things that God has called an abomination to be promoted and even revered and now we are seeing the day when the Christian faith that our Founders held so dear and believed to be the most valuable thing in their lives to become mocked and scorned in the public place. If we expect to see America rise again to the greatness it once enjoyed there is only one thing we can do and that is return to the roots of our Founders.
Many times the nation of Israel turned away from God and followed other gods but when things got so bad they realized what they needed to do so they call upon God for mercy and God would take them back. We are in that same place. 2 Chronicles 7:14 “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” Notice that God is not requiring the whole nation to turn, just His people. Even though 80%+ of Americans say they are Christian, there is very little proof of it in their lives. But there is a remnant that has been calling out to God for Him to heal America. For the last fifty years we have seen a shift to the left but the last six years it has been an almost 180 degree shift from what our Founders intended. Homosexual marriage being forced on the people by State legislators and the courts against the will of the people. If there is a separation of church and state, keeping religion out of government, then how does the state or federal government have the right to tell the church what it can and cannot do? That separation has to work both ways.
But all of this is the result of not electing godly men and women to public office. Benjamin Franklin stated: “The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: ‘that God governs in the affairs of men.’ And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?”1 John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court stated: “Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest, of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.” 2 (Emphasis mine) The Founders knew that they had to depend on God to put America on firm ground and that it would take dedication to His principles to keep it there.
Many people say that America’s sins are too many and too perverted for God to forgive. I have to respectfully disagree with that assumption. God forgave Israel for many things and has forgiven individuals for many things. Look at what Saul was doing to the church when he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. In Isaiah we see Gods willingness to forgive even the worst crimes: 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.“ Some people will still try to make us believe that He won’t forgive a nation that easily but in verses 21-26 we see, again, that God will heal a nation when His people call upon Him: Isa 1:21 “How is the faithful city become an harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers.
(22) Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water:
(23) Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.
(24) Therefore saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts, the mighty One of Israel, Ah, I will ease me of mine adversaries, and avenge me of mine enemies:
(25) And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin:
(26) And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city.” God states that the city was at one time righteous and godly judgment was its foundation. Those that are in places of authority are corrupt and there is graft everywhere. But He says that He will purge away those that are corrupt and restore the judges as in the beginning. He will only do this if there are those that are calling out to Him. I know of many that are calling out for God to heal our land.
God treats nations different than people. He says that righteousness exalts a nation. Righteousness for an individual is the blood of Jesus Christ but righteousness for a nation is its public policies. God determines through a nations public policies if he can bless a nation. If the public policy lines up with the Word then he can bless a nation, but if the policies don’t line up with the Word then He cannot bless the nation. Can God bless a policy that allows a baby to be murdered in the womb? No He can’t! He has warned us about shedding innocent blood. He has stated that He could not bless the shedding innocent blood: Deuteronomy 19:10, 13; 2 Kings 24:4; Psalms 106:38; Jeremiah 22:3.
God can’t bless a policy that redefines marriage from one man and one woman to two men or two women or combinations of men and women. God can’t bless a nation whose policies refuse to allow prayer in school or bible study in school. Now these have to be dealt with when the policies are enacted because nations do not live eternally. Only the individual has an eternal life. All decisions of righteousness falls on the judges. It was the judges that first forced homosexual marriage on the people and just recently it was the judges that reversed the will of the people in six different States that banned homosexual marriage. It was the courts that took prayer out of the schools. It was the courts that took the bible out of the schools. It has been the courts that have determined that abortion was allowed in our Constitution. God has instructed judges in how they should operate. In 2 Chronicles 19:6 “And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.
(7) Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.” Also in Psalms 2:10 “Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
(11) Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
(12) Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.” God is telling them that they are to judge according to His Word and to not be respectful of a person’s stature. Justice is supposed to be blind.
In this upcoming election almost all States will be electing judges. There are very few resources out there to determine how a judge has performed so research is needed. Also there are many judges appointed by Governors and the President. The judges that are appointed by a Governor will require a godly Governor and the judges appointed by the President will be approved by the Senate. We will need a godly President choosing a godly judge but we will also need godly Senators that will disapprove an unrighteous judge. That is one of the situations that I have brought up many times in the past. 70% of the judges appointed by Bill Clinton were former ACLU attorney’s and we have seen the disaster on the two Supreme Court appointees that Obama has done. Neither follow the Constitution as three others have openly stated that they use international law. One of these judges was appointed by a Republican President. We have to realize just how important it is to put God fearing men and women in office. We can no longer just sit back and complain, we have to participate.
All scripture is King James Version unless otherwise noted.
- Constitutional Convention. June 28, 1787, in an address by Benjamin Franklin. James Madison, Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787 (1787: Athens, OH: Ohio University press, 1966, 1985; NY: W.W. Norton & Co., 1987), pp. 209-210.
- William Jay, The Life of John Jay (New York: J. & J. Harper, 1833), Vol. II, p. 376, to John Murray Jr. on October 12, 1816.
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author and are not not necessarily either shared or endorsed by iPatriot.com.