31,000 people, or about 11 per 100,000 population die from gunshots each year. Of those, less than a third are homicides. Most are accidents or suicides. By contrast…
1) Cars kill 36,000 each year, or 12 per 100,000 population.
2) Doctors and nurses are responsible for 98,000 deaths for year in preventable medical malpractice. That 33 per 100,000.
3) Alcohol kills 100,000, also 33 per 100,000.
4) Obesity is responsible for 400,000 deaths per year, an astounding 133 per 100,000 Americans.
5) Tobacco is even worse, killing 450,000 – 150 per 100,000.
6) By far the most egregious killer is government. In the 20th century, world governments were responsible for deliberately exterminating 2.6 Million of THEIR OWN CITIZENS. That’s more than were killed in all the wars of the world in the same time period.
So if you live in the US you are:
10% more likely to be killed by a car than a gun.
3 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than a gun.
3 times more likely to be killed by alcohol than a gun.
12 times more likely to be killed by fat than a gun.
14 times more likely to be killed by tobacco than a gun.
I don’t have the statistics on gun ownership worldwide, but if you live on this planet you are far more likely to be killed by your own government than by another citizen who owns a gun.
Reviewing this using the “logic” of the left, to keep America safe Hillary and Obama would have to abolish the Second Amendment and then:
1) Outlaw cars. Bicycle sales would boom, so buy Schwinn stock.
2) Close down hospitals. I suggesting investing in Johnson and Johnson, the leader in first aid kits.
3) Put Prohibition back in place. Invest in grain commodities, because backwoods stills will boom.
4) Pass laws that will make obesity a crime. Invest in Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers.
5) Pass Prohibition for tobacco products. To benefit from this, there are a variety of “quit-smoking” companies to invest in, plus the fake cigarettes that don’t use tobacco.
6) Finally, and most important, government would have to abolish itself, since it is the greatest danger to mankind.
(This article was originally published at www.ConservativeTruth.org.)Tags: guns liberals
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author and are not not necessarily either shared or endorsed by iPatriot.com.