“This power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon with which any constitution can arm the immediate representatives of the people, for obtaining a redress of every grievance, and for carrying into effect every just and salutary measure.”
Anyone who has watched sports movies will recognize key ingredients shared by most of them: new leadership; disgruntled hangers-on old leadership; a fantastic new playbook written by a child under ten; a grandfather figure who favors the new leadership; a disadvantaged player that only “shows up” as a great player in the very last play of the very last inning or quarter, of the very last game of a championship series; and finally the last ingredient: the new leaders game plan which is always back to the basics. Those ingredients, the players involved, pretty much sum up what’s been going on in Congress, the House in particular since 2010, after Obama and his crew destroyed the healthcare industry which was the moment in time when they effected a made up from thin air right to healthcare the Founders had failed to recognize or forgot to mention.
So the movie elements of the sports-obsessed House go something like this:
- Paul Ryan took over from John Boehner the Speaker’s chair. First twist: Paul Ryan is both new leadership and an old disgruntled hanger-on resisting his new leadership.
- As already stated Paul Ryan, along with Andrew McCarthy remained as disgruntled hangers-on leadership, opposing the new leader Ryan at every turn.
- The new play book is regarded to have been written by a ten-year-old. Her name? Tea Party. Founded by Rick Santelli of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, the Chicago Board of Trade, and more recently of CNBC; the Tea Party’s “coloring book” of staying within the lines to replace, much less repeal, Obamacare has little respect in deep state media or government circles.
- The grandfather figure is played by Donald Trump: wiley, frisky, fun loving, common sense, non-ideological, overflowing with Tweets grandfather that he is.
- The disadvantaged player is Budget, whose nick name is Power of the Purse. Bullies all over her school call her “shutting down the government,” have for years, since kindergarten. Most of Budget’s detractors, unlike her, have yet to graduate, kindergarten that is.
Oh, almost forgot the love triangle:
- The love triangle between Paul Ryan and his girlfriends Budget and Continuing Resolution. Who will he choose? Which couple will enter the House and make it a home, together? If Ryan and Budget, will they wed and produce Republican voting children and grandchildren for generations to come? Or will they just live together, Ryan despondent, tearfully pining Continuing Resolution isn’t out of his life forever?
So predictable. As it turned out Ryan only flirted with Budget. Then when he thought no one was looking ran off with Continuing Resolution for the purpose of Saving Obamcare. The movie was a box office smash because Budget won with voters. But later, in real life, The Daily Mail reported Ryan’s girlfriend’s real name: Opioid. Which drives home for us the point Ryan really is, always was just an actor. So sad, the continuing resolutions, drugs, and all.
Join the conversation!
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.