In the wake of Parkland, Florida high school shooting on February 14, television and social media has been inundated with a flood of left-wing talking points regarding guns, gun safety, gun bans, and gun laws. Those who are the most vocal in this argument are, as usual, the most wrong.
And it’s even worse this time around. “The NRA just wants to sell guns,” (the NRA doesn’t sell guns). “No one needs automatic weapons,” (you can’t BUY automatic weapons without jumping through some insane legal hoops). “A handgun’s bullet is SLOWER than a rifle bullet so it’s USELESS to give a teacher a gun,” (because the bullets are racing each other). And don’t even get me started on the “definition of assault rifle” rhetoric.
In Florida, we’ve seen a potential “assault rifle ban” get shot down twice already. A few other bills are making their way through Tallahassee. Senator Diane Feinstein is calling to reinstate a bill similar to the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (which did nothing). Essentially, not going along with every knee-jerk reaction to the shooting is labeled as being complicit in the murder of children and wanting to see the streets run red with their blood.
But there’s an even better reason not to listen to liberals in this moment of heightened frenzy. They’re just wrong about everything.
Trending: America’s Underground Gas Chambers
And that’s not hyperbole. Seriously. Think back over the last 10 years. What have the Democrats done that has actually gone well?
I routinely challenge people who extoll the virtues of Barack Obama to tell me about one thing that he did that was successful. I can never get a definitive answer. It’s always some vague touchy-feely abstract bullet point that is immeasurable like “how we’re viewed globally.” That or “Well, Obama got bin Laden!” Yeah, because no other president would have given that order. But I ask that question to make the point. In the past decade, the Democrats have given us absolutely nothing. They’re the pinch hitter who continually strikes out.
Here’s just a handful of major items, endorsed with the full-throat of the Democrats that turned out to be complete and utter disasters:
- The Stimulus Bill aka The America Recovery & Reinvestment Act: It was supposed to repair infrastructure and create “shovel-ready jobs.” $787 billion later, the deficit got worse, unemployment went up, and nine years later we’re still talking about spending on infrastructure. Even Obama himself jokingly said, “Shovel ready was not as ‘shovel-ready’ as we expected.”
- Cash For Clunkers: The program began on July 24th with a budget of $1 billion and by July 30th they were out of money. It was supposed to get older cars off the road. It ended up going over budget, driving up used car prices, and created a shortage of vehicles.
- Obamacare: Well, this is low-hanging fruit. We were promised a $2,500 reduction in premiums for a family of four. We were promised we could keep our insurance plan and our doctor. We got none of that. Obama, however, was bestowed Politifact’s “Lie of the Year” award. Now we’re being told by the super-Left that single-payer is the fix for Obamacare.
But history is littered with campaign promises from both sides of the aisle that failed miserably so merely picking on a handful of failed programs might not seem fair. What about all the liberal predictions that seemingly get swept aside after they fail to come to fruition? People seem to forget about those. So how wrong have they been?
- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has called the GOP Tax Cut Bill “a dark cloud over the capital,” referred to the bill as “unpatriotic,” and called the resulting bonuses given to American workers as “crumbs.” Meanwhile, the bill is popular with the majority of Americans.
- New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, who won a Nobel Prize in economics, predicted the day after the 2016 presidential election that the markets will “never” recover under Trump. Of course he was wrong which makes you question the value of a Nobel Prize (let’s remember, Obama got one for doing NOTHING).
- Journalist Kurt Eichenwald announced he was selling all of his stocks in his children’s education accounts in preparation of the stock market tanking. He even gave us some insight into his personal investment choices…
Kurt missed out on a 31% gain in the stock market, which was the best market performance during a president’s first year since FDR.
- Eichenwald & Krugman weren’t alone. Dallas Maverick’s owner Mark Cuban told Fox Business in September of 2016, “In the event [Trump] wins, I have no doubt in my mind the market tanks. If the polls look like there’s a decent chance that [Trump] could win, I’ll put a huge hedge on that’s over 100% of my equity positions… that protects me just in case he wins.”
- Obama openly mocked Trump’s claims that he was going to bring jobs back to the United States by negotiating better deals. Obama wanted to know if Trump had a “magic wand” he could wave that would magically bring jobs back to the US. CNN was so confident that Trump would fail, they even created a “Jobs Tracker” that would keep their readers up to speed as to when Trump was falling behind in his job creation goals. Not only has Trump succeeded and stayed ahead of his desired pace, he has embarrassed CNN to the point where they stopped updating the jobs tracker because the news made Trump look too good.
Which brings me to my point: why on Earth should we listen to anything any liberal has to say about anything? Is there any group of people that is more perpetually wrong about everything on a more consistent basis? And when they’re not wrong, they’re just flat-out lying (see any discussion with a liberal on how “more guns, equal more crime“) or they’re just making things up (“No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018“). At this point, the track record is laughable; you could bet it blind. Just ask a liberal his or her opinion and go the other way.
So when Nancy Pelosi says the border wall won’t work, we know we have to build it… and fast. Because not only will it work, it will probably cast a shade on the hot part of the country lowering our energy costs as well. That’s how wrong liberals are.
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author and are not not necessarily either shared or endorsed by iPatriot.com.