An avalanche of fist-time gun owners stepped up to the plate last year, with women, blacks and Hispanics making up the biggest blocks of those newly armed citizens.
According to the Washington Examiner, more than 5.4 million Americans became newbie gun owners last year.
The Examiner added:
Joe Bartozzi, president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said, “The surveys revealed that new gun owners are continuing to embrace their Second Amendment rights and nearly half of them are seeking out professional training. These trends show that not only is there still a strong interest in gun ownership but also that these new gun owners are interested in learning more about the safe and responsible handling, use and storage of firearms.”
He shared the new data as part of the industry group’s annual “Shot Show” in Las Vegas that draws tens of thousands to view new equipment and technology. It also kicks off the late winter season of gun and outdoors shows, with the next one being the National Rifle Association’s Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
The FBI added that 2021 was the second-most number of background checks for new guns ever recorded, surpassed only by 2020.
The NSSF broke the numbers down showing a higher than ever participation by minorities:
- Nearly 47% of first-time gun buyers in 2021 asked about training and 43% signed up for training.
- Nearly 23% of retailers indicated that first-time gun buyers in 2020 purchased another firearm in 2021.
- Over 33% of first-time gun buyers in 2021 were women.
- 44% of retailers saw an increase of African-Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
- Nearly 40% of retailers saw an increase of Hispanic Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
- Over 27% of retailers saw an increase of Asian Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
- Over 18% of retailers saw an increase of Native Americans purchasing firearms in 2021.
- Nearly 14% of retailers saw an increase of Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders purchasing firearms in 2021.
Follow Warner Todd Huston on Facebook at: facebook.com/Warner.Todd.HustonTags: 2nd Amendment constitution guns Second Amendment